Influenza Vaccine Composition
Last Updated: October 2012The recommended influenza vaccine composition for New Zealand in 2013 is:
- A(H1N1): an A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)-like strain, 15 µg HA per dose
- A(H3N2): an A/Victoria/361/2011 (H3N2)-like strain, 15 µg HA per dose
- B: a B/Wisconsin/1/2010-like strain, 15 µg HA per dose
Vaccine strains recommended as suitable are those listed on the World Health Organisation (WHO) Influenza vaccine viruses and reagents web pages (see http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/en/) for H1N1, H3N2 and B-Yamagata/16/88 lineage viruses.
This recommendation is based on the outcome of:
- The meeting of the Australian Influenza Vaccine Committee, with a New Zealand representative, to consult on the influenza vaccine composition for 2013 (held on 3 October 2012),
- Information on international surveillance by the WHO Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System,
- Analysis of recent data on epidemiology and strain characterisation, and
- The recommendations of the WHO annual consultation on the composition of 2013 influenza vaccine for the Southern Hemisphere.